Saturday, January 08, 2005

Why I Hate "The OC"

Mini-rant time. I really hate "the OC", but not for the usual reasons of it being a crappy teenage drama. I can forgive that. I was young and stupid once. I used to like "Beverly Hills 90210" during junior high and high school. I know the value of a little teen angst, hell I even grew sideburns to be more like Luke Perry. The reason I hate "the OC" is more subtle: the saturation of good indie bands. More and more recent Tiger Beat graduates are discovering lovely bands like the Walkmen, Death Cab for Cutie, Elefant, and Modest Mouse without ever having to pay their dues. Yes, dues. Now teeny-boppers can buy tracks from these bands on convenient mix cd's at Walmart. If you look at the reviews of the OC Mix 2 at Amazon and you'll see that these kiddos are spouting on about Interpol, Nada Surf, and Jeff Buckley. It doesn't really bother me that much that the bands have sold out to be on the show. I can understand they might want to make a few dollars after years of being starving artists. What bothers me is the easy access the pre-teens have to this stuff. Half the pleasure in indie music is having to dig up info on new bands by scouring through the web, press, and word of mouth. There's no effort in the discovery any more. That's why I propose a new law that in order to purchase the OC mix cd's, you must prove that you have adequate knowledge of the following bands:
  • Echo and the Bunnymen
  • Pavement
  • The Cure
  • Blur
  • The Pixies
  • name of influential band here
I may sound like a bitter asshole (because I am), but to really appreciate some of these new indie acts, it helps to know where the music came from.

4 Comments:

Blogger LONGSLEEVES said...

I can't agree with you more. I've been loving The Walkmen since last spring and now 15 year old girls with no musical taste are listening to them - thanks to The fucking O.C.

I want to start punching shit.

10:43 PM  
Blogger BQ said...

I totally agree

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not agree with that at all! well ok, some parts of it. I am actually a 17 year old girl who hadn't heard of death cab, walkmen, killers, rooney and all of those bands before I got interested in OC. and I do hate it when some of my trance-loving friends starts liking them aswell, but it is unfair to be that way. My favourite band is death cab now and yes, because I got to know them through OC, but not because seth cohen likes them or anything. I like the music, and the lyrics and everything about it, so why can i not love it? and be happy for the bands that finally gets the attention they diserve! besides, i think those 15 year old girls with no musical taste will return to their britney-usher-beyonce loving days sometime! but please stop hating us for loving fantastic music!

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You hate the OC so I hate you...
anyways no comment

2:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home