Monday, January 31, 2005

Don't Tell Lars

Dear Blog:

I decided today that I would actually try buying some music today. I've been a horrible Bittorrent whore lately, contributing the following albums to the "big ipod" at work:
  • Adem -- Homesongs
  • Echo and the Bunnymen -- Porcupine
  • Belle and Sebastian -- If You Are Feeling Sinister
  • Bjork -- Medulla
  • Neutral Milk Hotel -- In An Aeroplane Over the Sea
  • Nelly McKay -- Get Away From Me
  • Libertines -- Up the Bracket and Self Titled
  • The Fiery Furnaces -- Gallowsbird's Bark
  • and probably others
To somewhat atone for stealing so much music, I bought the following:
  • Pinback -- Summer In Abbadon
  • Guided By Voices -- whatever their last album was called
  • Menomena
  • Walkmen's debut album
I also bought a guitar online today. It's an SX SST62 Stratocaster copy. Message boards said it's pretty good for a guitar that's probably made with child labour. Now I just need to find an instructor near me. Most likely, even with instruction I will suck balls.

I'm reminded of my "I Hate The OC" post from a few weeks back. In addition to those previous thoughts, it's making me a complete asshole. Someone I know heard Elliott Smith on the last episode, and asked me when he was planning on recording his next album. I just returned a dirty look, but wanted to say it was either called "I can't sing with a punctured lung" or "Dig me up and I'll play you a tune". I don't know where this bitterness at musical ignorance is coming from, but next person who asks me if I like "Relient K" is going to have a brick tossed in their direction. I make sure to attach a chain to my bricks, so that I can retrieve and throw again in case I miss.

In other news, I've probably gotten 10 hours of sleep since Friday, so I'm cranky. I'm going to IHOP now, and then I'm going to go punish myself at the gym.

8 Comments:

Blogger LONGSLEEVES said...

I'm sure you've read this on my blog a hundred times, but Homesongs is teh shit. That album kicks ass. Also good work on the guitar, mate. I'm sure you'll be tearing it up Hendrix-style in no time.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Forgive me of Lord Brent for the wrong I have done to the musical community for not listening to Bob Dylan...I shall certainly be sent to pop lover's hell. God help me...

10:54 AM  
Blogger Brent said...

It's okay Teresa, you can't help it... you're mormon :-P

4:35 PM  
Blogger BQ said...

Dude! I just went to IHOP, too! I always get oatmeal because I am afraid of cholestrol and saturated fat

10:43 PM  
Blogger Brent said...

Clarification:

I hate IHOP. I usually go to Cracker Barrel on Monday mornings with my coworkers. However, I had to come back for a meeting in an hour, so I went to it b/c it was right across the street. I got charged $25 for a $5 order of pancakes and argued with the manager for a good 15 minutes to get my money back. I ended up being late for my meeting anyway. I should have just gone to Cracker Barrel. IHOP bastards...

12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm, alas, there are no Cracker Barrels out here in CA--are they like IHOPs but better? I try to avoid IHOPs most of the time, but sometimes you just don't have a choice. Good luck w/the guitar lessons--maybe you can start an Elliott Smith tribute band.

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ihop on north rock rd is the best one! I really miss wichita. Florida is nice but in the year & 1/2 I've been here we've had 3 hurricanes & 6 nights below freezing. Don't miss the snow. I do miss Old Chicago, cosmic bowling & all my "old" friends. ENJOY!! lnwalker311@aol.com

5:38 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I am completely the same about the musical ignorance, especially when people gush about a band as though they know everything about them, when in fact they just know one song, or so. Your replies about Elliott Smith's latest album made me laugh, though. Not so PC of me, I guess. But I think being so snappish about these things makes me more... snobbish. So I am trying to stop. Kind of.

But the albums you've bought/contributed to the iPod are fantastic. I've played those exact Adem, Fiery Furnaces, Guided By Voices, and Pinback albums on my last few radio shows, ironically enough.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home