Saturday, April 30, 2005

What's the story Morning Glory?

I'm actually having a much more colorful weekend than I had originally planned on, which is kind of a pleasant surprise.

Friday night was designated as hang out with the co-workers night. More or less, my entire department showed up to shoot some pool and drink a few pitchers at some new sports bar by my workplace. I kind of like the idea of kicking back with the co-workers. If one of them decides to go on a murderous rampage do to all the work stress lately, they might spare someone that they go drinking with on a regular basis. Or so I hope.

If there was a downside to last night, it's that the co-workers got to witness one of the unfortunate side-effects of me drinking with them: the sing-alongs to 80's songs. After a few sing-alongs, some of the "ladies" (I'm using that term lightly), that one of my co-workers brought along started going off on the music choice of the barkeep (mostly complaining about the fact that they were playing quite a bit off of U2- The Joshua Tree). So, they went up to the bar and hammered on the bartender until he played some "ghetto music". So they got him to put on some Ying Yang Twins. Moment of clarity: for every Biggie and Tupac that were taken from us too soon, there are five Little Jon's with accompanying entourages.

When I was actually playing pool, I managed to clean most of the table on Chang (my streetracing coworker: too fast, too furious), all while exclaiming "I'm a hustla baaaa~by" in my most demeaning tone. I then proceeded to scratch on the 8-ball. I think this is somehow a metaphor for my life.

Tomorrow, I was invited to go play cricket with some South-African folks I used to work with. I don't even know the rules for the game, but saw part of the championship televised on the ocho. I figure it will be a nice opportunity to get some fresh air and culture myself a bit. That, and the fact that they always seem to bring a lovely assortment of food and wine whenever we do something.

In other news, I won an auction on e-bay today for another guitar. This one while used, has some excellent modifications on it, and I think will have a lot of character. It's a archtop-double cutaway (kind of a Les-Paul style) Hamer with some Tom Anderson coil-tapped Humbuckers and Sperzal tuners added to it. I'm quite looking forward to getting it. I'm even thinking of giving my guitar a name in the BB King tradition. You can check out a pic of it here.

I'm out like Seacrest.

6 Comments:

Blogger LONGSLEEVES said...

Reminds me a bit of a PRS guitar.. good work..

7:42 PM  
Blogger Larry Jones said...

The guitar looks great. I want to hear about the coil-splitting as soon as you try it out (that is, are the pickups any good?) This is exactly the feature I am looking for.
Also: Cricket?

11:12 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Ohhh nice guitar.

And if you continually do drunken sing-alongs to 80's music, you should really do a recording sometime and post it. I'm sure it'd be appreciated by all.

5:05 PM  
Blogger -G.D. said...

I've been scratching on 8 balls since the day I was born.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Pops said...

I was going to comment something relevant, but I've drowned in GD's flood of double entendres. It's tragic, really.

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have seen the group from our Asian offices getting down on karaoke night in hawai'i. Love Shack, baybeeeee

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home