Tuesday, May 03, 2005

*********Work Related Rant Warning*********

I never cease to be amazed at how dumb some systems administrators are. This particular systems administrator I'm about to complain about works for a fortune 500 company and is in charge of millions of dollars worth of our enterprise-level equipment. That said, I just got a call from her that I would understand if I worked for AOL. Here's a brief summary of the call.

Her: Hi, you send host sofware?
Me: Yes, that is a CD image of the version of the management software you needed.
Her: I can no install!
Me: Pardon?
Her: It's an ISO file, what's that? I no can mount!
Me: It's a CD image. You have to to burn it to a CD.
Her: Okay I'll do that.

(She hangs up and calls back about an hour later)
Her: I can no figure out how to burn the ISO.
Me: What are you trying to use to burn the CD?
Her: EZ-CD

(At this point I start to get a little peeved, as I'm predicting she's going to ask me how to use EZ-Fucking-CD creator.... the program my grandma can use. Keep in mind she's a systems administrator for a fortune 500 company and probably makes a factorial of my salary. Not to mention, this is the first IT professional I've run into that has never burned a CD.)

Her: Can you tell me how burn the CD?
Me: I'm really not supposed to. I'm support for the unit you purchased. It's really quite well documented in the application help file how to burn an ISO.
Her: ...........
Her: Can I just download program?
Me: You did, I sent you an FTP link to the ISO file.

The conversation went on for a good time longer than it should have after that. The problem resolution ended up me burning the ISO for her and fex ex'ing her the CD overnight. May the Lord have mercy on my soul, that's usually why I don't post on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Days that begin in T are Tard days, and I didn't want to get in the habit of posting about my Tard Tuesday. Tomorrow is Wednesday though, so hopefully the tards will go into hibernation and I can post something less angry and more meaningful.

6 Comments:

Blogger -G.D. said...

These reader will light candles tonight...praying for Wednesday. Wednesday can not come too soon.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Brent said...

I wish I knew. She was from California though, so maybe Pops could shed some light on the country of origin.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Pops said...

Sorry, our borders and ports are so porous anymore, she could have been from anywhere. We've given up entirely. Among INS agents, if someone says "California", they just shake their heads and laugh.

Oranges are really cheap though. And you can get your house cleaned for almost nothing.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Larry Jones said...

I'm glad you posted a work-related rant. I like work-related rants, and this one was at least interesting, and it had the added element of someone getting highly paid for doing (and not knowing) shit. My company has a National IT Director. I don't know what he does. He does know how to burn CD's, though. He made one for our old network, containing a critical update. Our computers, spec'd by him, didn't have CD-ROM drives, though.

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I told one of my new friends last week that I used to be a technical writer/editor. He said, "why? We never read the manuals anyway." Ha.

1:27 AM  
Blogger the rpc said...

nice pic. but yeah, that was the first thing i noticed when i entered the 'real world' 5 years ago, that it was amazing how many people had jobs, decent jobs no less, and they were complete fucking dumbasses. i just don't get it. i think they are less threatning, and therefore, are able to stick around longer. you know, like that survivor shit.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home