Monday, February 28, 2005

My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama

Okay so BTK is caught and confessed. No, I did not have an active part in it as much as MPH would like to believe. Me and my half-Indian sidekick have long retired ourselves from amateur detective-work. No, BTK does not stand for "Brent Tha Killa", James, although that would be a great gansta name if I ever formed an old school rap posse. I am alive and well, although I have not posted anything since this whole BTK revelation went down. I even took a "proof of life" picture first thing this morning to prove I was okay. I'm hesitant to post it though, because I hadn't shaved for 2 days, had itchy watery eyes from my allergies, and looked like crap in general. In fact, some might think I was actually an American hostage taken captive by South American guerrilas.

The freaky part about it all, is that BTK lived about 5 minutes from my house. In fact, when I went to the gym the other day, there was a TV crew next door filming about the "last known BTK parcel drop" at the Home Depot. If anyone sees a picture on MSNBC with the caption "Local Resident Likes To Use Stairmaster Next To Last Known Parcel Drop", it's probably the Brentster. I'm really ready to get out of this surreal media playground and back to reality, though. The local news has become a rapid exploitation machine. It's BTK 24X7. If they don't have any new updates on the case, they are interviewing victims' families for the umpteenth time to reask the painful question "So what does it feel like to have your loved one's tortured and murdered?". I wish they'd show some respect for the victims' families and just report UPDATES. Leave the victims' families to mourn, celebrate, or whatever it is they feel. I just know if one of my loved one's was murdered, I wouldn't want the media hounding me with my current feelings on the case.

In other news, I've found a guitar teacher and start lessons on Saturday. w00t.

Now listening to: Fugazi-- The Argument

8 Comments:

Blogger Pops said...

Aw, guitar lessons? No no no, you need a do-it-yourself book or an informercial video tape series. All the burned-out, doped-up guitar gods are self-taught (the infomercial tapes count as "self-taught" because they suck and you will throw them away).

Sure, the books make you start with "Jingle Bells" and "When the Saints Go Marching In", but man, you can really make "Jingle Bells" rock if you put your mind to it.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no idea what the heck you're talking about?!
I don't watch the news, I tivo; therefore only subjecting myself to things I want to be subjected to . . . please elaborate?

9:55 PM  
Blogger Brent said...

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=539702&page=1

That pretty much sums it up.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Larry Jones said...

Guitar lessons? I learned by copying records (big black vinyl disks, but never mind about that). With modern MP3 technology, you can slow down songs without changing the pitch, thus making it even easier to figure out (and copy) what's going on. After a while, you'll be able to make up your own songs. Then read Tip #6 from this post for further info.

12:18 AM  
Blogger SJ said...

As someone with zero musical talent or inclination (although I can karaoke like a motherfucker), I applaud your guitar lessons.

I read a quote from a BTK church member who said, "Why didn't we know? What else could we have done?" And I wanted to say, "You could have PRAYED HARDER." but that was really petty of me, wasn't it?

6:22 AM  
Blogger BQ said...

I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know who BTK was until I did some research a la Google. I should start watching the news again, if not for the 20-second talking heads, for the sensationalized, O.C-like drama.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTK makes me think of a sandwich or a black all-boy band (remember the smooth pubescent stylings of B2K?). Wow, pretty crazy that you're so close to a serial killer. Must be fun. Also laughed at SJ's comment about the guy's fellow churchgoers.

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's with the Lutherans and murder? I mean, Kansas Lutherans and murder? Like Tom Bird and Lorna Anderson. I've seen the City Confidential and the TV movie Murder Ordained partly because I've always been interested in serial killers. Maybe there's a dissertation to be written on Kansas Lutherans and murder. No offense, Brent. But you're probably not Lutheran.

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home