Wednesday, February 23, 2005

My Local Economy is Fucked.... Here's the Comedy

Boeing finalized the sale yesterday of its Wichita operations (after 80 years of business) to a Toronto investment firm, Onex. Boeing/Onex Wichita is the largest employer in Wichita, providing many a relative with work. Now employess have a 60 day grace period before they must re-apply for their jobs. I have no idea how this will turn out for the town, but I don't think it will end well.

Here's the comedy, there is a little dive bar that I sometimes frequent that is run by a Boeing worker of 37 years. He was so pissed off at the sale that he gave away beer for free for the whole evening yesterday. Well legally he couldn't GIVE away the beer, so Randy put up a sign saying "All beer -- 5 cents Canadian". It really didn't matter if you had money once you got through the door, it was all just one big happy support group. So I had a grand old time singing Hank Williams Jr. and Johnny Cash songs, sharing embarrassing past drunk moments, and drinking pints of cheap beer. We even made the 10:00 news. I'm semi-locally famous beoooootches! (well not really)

Here's what I learned:
  • In a midwest town, 80% of all males are named Randy
  • When a Repulican congressman tells you that a manufacturing plant is selling over his dead body, he just might be a liar
  • Johnny Cash and beer are as American as this guy
  • When girls talk about their drunk moments, a disproportionate amout of them are about stripping in front of large groups of strangers
  • Too many of my posts lately involve drinking in some way, and that makes me a saaaaaaadd panda

6 Comments:

Blogger LONGSLEEVES said...

Wouldn't that be a sad, drunken panda?

Maybe you're more like the Panda-Dog.

Either way.. does this picture disturb you?

Hey look! It's you after drinking 12 pints of Guinness!

... but remember.


and I'm spent!

(sorry all of the preceding was totally pointless)

7:08 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I LOVE THE PANDA-DOG. I WANT ONE.

Okay. Enough of that. I don't drink, but I can imagine that feeling like your life revolves around drinking/something similar is not a good feeling.

But I also imagine that noticing this means that your life probably isn't centered on alcohol, so... yes. I think I was trying to say something poignent, but I'm tired and this probably makes little or no sense.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Larry Jones said...

No, no. I think the fact that he is noticing it means he's for sure got a serious problem. I'm just not sure what it is.

10:35 PM  
Blogger LONGSLEEVES said...

I think Larry is right.. the first step on the road to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

The problem is that he's a sad, drunken, panda.

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Brent, when your local economy's fucked, what else is there to do but drink? And perhaps cuddle a Panda-Dog! Dang, that thing is unbelievably cute.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Pops said...

I don't mean to sound harsh, but those people still hanging on at Boeing in Wichita should have buggered off to Seattle decades ago. That's how nearly all my wife's family got the hell out of Kansas. Most of them nearly walk upright now. Well, at least they go to church a lot less.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home